In April, we'll be teaming up with Marine Conservation Society to clean up 100 beaches around the UK – why not come along and join us?
The UK's beautiful coastline is at the heart of many happy days out and cherished childhood memories, but MCS has found that there are now, on average, two pieces of litter on every metre of our beaches. For the past two years, M&S has been working with MCS to organise an annual clean-up of the country's beaches. As well as keeping our coastline looking its best, the big beach clean-up – taking place this year from 24 April to 30 April – helps preserve sea life at risk of ingesting plastic rubbish.
Last year's event was a huge success, with more than 9,000 volunteers helping to clear litter from 113 beaches and 50 canals up and down the country – covering a total distance of around 300km. Participants collected over 30,000kg of litter, including cans, wrappers, bottles, a trampoline, a fire extinguisher and an HM Prison Service toothbrush! According to Samantha Fanshawe, chief executive of MCS: 'M&S's employee and customer support for beach cleans last year really helped us to turn a corner in the fight against beach litter. It is fantastic to have their support again this year and we're hoping for a massive turn out from the public.'
If you want to join in with this year's Big Beach Clean-up, it only takes an hour or two, then you can spend the rest of the day enjoying the organised activities. And as a special thank you for your help, M&S will give you £5 off your next food shop when you spend £30 or more*.
Register here with MCS to take part in a beach clean.
View our photo gallery from last year's beach clean here…
Tweet a photograph taken at or during one of our Beach Cleans with @marksandspencer #beachclean
This can be a photograph of a beach, sea life or any unusual items found for the chance to win a £200 M&S gift card.
Twitter Prize Draw Terms and Conditions
- The prize draw is open to United Kingdom and Channel Island residents only, who are aged 16 or over. The Promoter reserves the right to require participants to prove that they are eligible. If the Promoter (acting reasonably) is not satisfied as to the eligibility of the winner, the Promoter reserves the right to nominate another participant as winner and to require the return of any prize money already awarded (if possible).
- Prize draw commences on 24 April 2014 and all entries must be submitted by 23:59 BST on Wednesday 30 April 2014. No purchase necessary.
- To enter the prize draw, participants must tweet a photograph taken at or during one of our Beach Cleans with @marksandspencer #beachclean. This can be an image of a beach, sea life or any unusual items found for the chance to win a £200 M&S Gift Card.
- You must gain consent to enter the picture in this prize draw from any identifiable person included in the photograph to submit the entry (or the consent of the parent/guardian of any child under 15 years old).
- M&S reserves the right to disqualify any entry which M&S reasonably deems to be in breach of these terms and conditions or includes any imagery which M&S reasonably deems to be inappropriate.
- Photographs entered into the prize draw may be published on the Marine Conservation Society and M&S’ Plan A websites, M&S or MCS social media and marketing communications and by submitting your entry you understand that you are granting us an irrevocable license to make use of your submission for these purposes.
- One winner will be chosen at random from all eligible entries and will receive a £150 M&S gift card. M&S standard Gift card terms and conditions apply to the prize. There are no other prizes.
- The prize is non-transferable and non-refundable and subject to availability. There is no cash alternative.
- Limit of one entry per person only. No entry on behalf of third parties.
- The winner shall be notified via Twitter no later than ten days after the above closing date. Winner must provide a valid UK postal address for the prize to be sent to.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. No responsibility will be taken for late, lost, indecipherable or misdirected entries.
- If the Promoter at any time reasonably considers an entry is in appropriate and/or fails to comply with its guidelines, it may disqualify the entry.
- Nothing in these Terms & Conditions shall limit in any way the Promoter's liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence. Subject to that, the Promoter shall have no liability for: (a) technical problems of any kind which may limit or prevent any person's participation in the prize draw; (b) any loss or damage arising from or in connection with the allocation of the prize, or (c) any other events beyond the Promoter's control that may cause the prize draw to be disrupted or corrupted or may lead to loss or damage of prizes in transit to the Winner.
- The Promoter reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the prize draw if it believes, in its sole discretion, that the prize draw is not capable or is likely not to be capable of being conducted fairly or as specified within these Terms & Conditions due to events beyond its control (including, without limitation, a virus, a computer bug, automated voting or unauthorised human intervention or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter that could corrupt or affect the administration, security, impartiality or normal course of the prize draw).
- The Promoter of this prize draw is Marks and Spencer plc, Waterside House, 35 North Wharf Road, London W2 1NW
- The promotion shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales.